Following the Saint John Vianey High School Mission Statement, the members of the English Department strive to reflect the Gospel message and the educational tradition of Roman Catholic Church in order to mold their students into becoming “citizens of God’s kingdom and the world.”
The English Department members of Saint John Vianney High School reinforce the school philosophy of caring for their “students’ educational and spiritual needs” by providing opportunities for each student to become an effective communicator, by emphasizing the aesthetic nature of literature, and by enjoining their students (through the members’ own actions) to reflect God’s love in their lives. The English curriculum aims:
- To advance the study of language through reading, writing, listening, speaking, and viewing.
- To present literature which addresses universal questions effecting students’ emotional, intellectual, and spiritual growth.
- To promote critical thinking, analysis, and problem-solving.
- To stimulate the imagination, awaken creativity, and evoke self-expression.
- To foster an appreciation of our cultural wealth and ethnic diversity.
- To integrate the study of English language and literature with other academic disciplines.
- To prepare students for the challenges of the 21st century by utilizing technology within the academic program.
- To model and encourage a life-long love of learning.
Fine Arts Department
You are invited to explore the Fine Arts Department, as well as the entire Arts Program at Saint John Vianney High School. Students who are involved in our program often continue to develop their skills in college and in their local communities. Our faculty and staff members who teach, advise, or coach students in our program are practitioners of their craft.